John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.

Model#PBB1951GRW SERIAL # 10576268CR; My Maytag upright

Customer Question

Model#PBB1951GRW SERIAL # XXXXX; My Maytag upright fridge/freezer is not cooling the upper fridge area but is still freezing in the bottom compartment. The fan in the back runs periodically, both fridge and freezer lights come on when the door is open, the fridge is about 60 degrees F, the coils and fins are free from debis and dirt, it is hard to distinguish if the compressor is running. ANY IDEAS?, Thanks Randy
Category: Appliance
Expert:  John replied 6 years ago.

Thanks for the question.

You said the fan motor in the back runs the odd time is this the fan motor by the compressor.

You also said you cant tell if the compressor is going or not, is the compressor hot and can you hear a click from the compressor.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The compressor is only warm, the fan sits side by side to the left side of the compressor when looking at it from the back opening of the unit.The fan is not running at this very moment.

Thanks, Randy
Expert:  John replied 6 years ago.

If that fan motor isn't going it should be, replace the fan motor also clean the coils at the front behind the kick plate that should fix that problem.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The fan motor, when running, runs very fast. What would cause the motor to wants to come on and off at times.. May I still contact you if the motor trick does not work, on this same inquirey?
Expert:  John replied 6 years ago.
When the motor stops do you have a volt meter to see if its still getting 10 volts , I cant see by looking at the model what would cause it to stop like that , so it could be a bad motor.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Are we talking the fan motor to fridge or the evaporator motor. Are the fan and motor one componet?
Expert:  John replied 6 years ago.
I checked the model and the problem has to be the motor, you can use s house fan and aim it at the compressor and the coils till you can replace the fan motor.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I am trying this and trying to get the motor.
Expert:  John replied 6 years ago.
Ok replacing the motor should fix that problem.