Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

My Viking refrigerator alarm will not shut off. I have had

Customer Question

My Viking refrigerator alarm will not shut off. I have had constant problems with the freezer and I am having more, but I cannot get in touch with a repair man until morning and the alarm will not stop!
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 years ago.
is the "door" alarm light flashing or the temp alarm light flashing?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
There are 4 alarm beeps, the light on the indicator inside the fridge just has a light running back and forth. I taped the piece that the door hits when shut, maybe that is the problem..but the freezer is also a contstant problem....a few minutes should tell if this works. I just want the alarm to stop so I can sleep!
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 years ago.
ok so that light on the display that's running back and forth means that your temperature sensor or "thermistor" is shorted and will need to be replaced. You're refrigerator and freezer are going to start warming up so I would take everything out and turn the breaker off to the refrigerator or remove the top panel above the door and flip the switch to off. You won't be able to get this working until you replace the thermistor.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
will the alarm keep beeping if the light is running back and forth?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 years ago.
yes it will unfortunately. If you press any buttons it may stop for a minute or two but it will come back.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok, but both sides are throwing off cold air. if it gets colder, will the beeping stop. The only reason i ask is because that light has run back and forth many many times since we bought the stupid thing. I HATE IT.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 years ago.
well it might, but that light running back and forth means that your sensor in the refrigerator or freezer is shorted. So all I can tell you is that it needs a new thermistor---as far as what might happen, like I said can warm up and ruin all your food so if you want to be conservative, move the food somewhere else.
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok thank you
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 years ago.
no problem and good luck.