John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.

Our Whirlpool ED25PE Side by side quit working and is blowing

Our Whirlpool ED25PE Side by side quit working and is blowing warm air. Is it worth a call from a repair man or is this more of a replacement issue?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  John replied 6 years ago.

Thanks for the question.

Can you hear the compressor going and is the fan motor going in the freezer.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The fan motor is running and it seems the compressor is as well.
Expert:  John replied 6 years ago.
Have you checked to coils by the compressor are they dirty, also can you feel frost in the freezer at the back panel.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The coils were not real dirty but somewhat - they have been vacuumed. There is no frost at the back panel.
Expert:  John replied 6 years ago.
It doesnt take much dust to stop the cooling just make sure the coils in the freezer are free of frost. if their not covered in frost give the fridge a few hours after the coils have been cleaned and see if it gets colder.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The refrigerator has been down over the weekend. This is a frig in a small office with no one on site over the weekend. There has been plenty of time for the fridge to have cooled off however,the coils have been cleaned only a couple hours ago. Is it really possible that only a small bit of dust can shut down the freezer and the refrigerator? Neither of them are cooling?????
Expert:  John replied 6 years ago.
With the dust and the heat in a small office it could cause that problem.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Okay - It is a large kitchen but I took a look at the "clean" coils - with the help of a brush for the aquarium i was able to remove a lot of dust etc. from the coils. I don't think they were even near clean....... now we will turn on the fridge and try again. How long should it take to start cooling ? If this doesn't work - can i surmise it is the compressor?
Expert:  John replied 6 years ago.
It will take a few hours to start to get cold and 24 hours to get back to normal depending on the amount of food in the unit if it doesnt get cold and the freezer coils aren't frosted up then yes its the compressor.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
My last question, I promise, - should the compressor be hot? When I get your reply I will accept the answer. Thanks for the troubleshooting.
Expert:  John replied 6 years ago.
Yes it should run hot , the fan by the compressor is keeping cooler, lets hoe in 24 hours it works for you.