Craig
Craig, Electrical Technician
Experience:  33 years experience electrical troubleshooting industrial equipment and control systems.
21549903

how to remove a broken water pipe from well caseing that is

Customer Question

how to remove a broken water pipe from well caseing that is out of sight the casing is 6 inch trying to put in a deep well pump but anable to go all the way down im hitting an obstruction of an old pipe that had broken off and dropped
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Craig replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Craig :

Can you lower a line down to the pipe?

Craig :

What I'm thinking is this; drop a one down with a rock climbing 'cam' on the end. Once its inside the pipe, you pull back on it and it expands against the sides of the pipe so you have a hold of it and pull it up. I'm not sure of the pipe size, so you would have to determine which size cam to use.

Craig :

Here is a photo of a cam:

Craig :

The harder you pull the tighter they get...

Craig :

Or you may be able to use a 'lifting clamp'

Craig :

look at this one

Craig :

Either one of these could pinch the pipe edge and allow you to lift it out

Craig :

The mountain climbers 'cam' will fit inside the pipe and push out on the inner wall and allow you to lift also

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
how do you get it to slip over the pipe that is sticking straight up that is down in the caseing 23 feet
Expert:  Craig replied 6 years ago.
The cam I showed you goes inside the pipe, if that's the only option. You lower it down and drop it inside the pipe, the cam opens on the inner wall of the pipe and you have it.
You would lower the cam down the well and inside the pipe, then pull up and the cam opens, the weight of the pipe holds it against the inside of the pipe. As you take weight on the rope, the cam clamps harder. It's a climbing tool for mountaineers to hang from a crack for their support. They have different weight ratings, not sure of the weight of the pipe in question?

Edited by Craig on 9/11/2010 at 3:03 AM EST