Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

my whirlpool dryer is not working properly. The coils seem

Customer Question

my whirlpool dryer is not working properly. The coils seem to remain on and the start button will not operate. I replaced the thermal fuse when this happened before and it seemed to work for a while, but has happened again. can you advise?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.

If you did not include a model # XXXXX your question please do on you second reply if possible,this helps us serve you faster.

can you get me the model#/

when you say the coils seem to remain on do you mean they are hot, warm all the time even when the dryer isn't on?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
mod # XXXXX
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
is this warm without the dryer running?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
ok , your heating element is shorted out, this will cause the thermal fuse to go again, unplug the dryer and let it coll then remove the back panel and on the right side is the heating element, remove it and check it , it probably sagging and touching the metal on the element, Part 2438this will cause it to ground out and get hot, you will need to replace it. you can order one @ or get one locally, you will also need to replace the thermal fuse again, hope this helps , thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you,

After removing the heating coil unit, I found that one of the wires from my daughter-in-law's underwire bra came out and worked its way through the screen in the dryer down into the coil unit and was shorting out causing the thermal fuse to blow. I checked the coil out and it registered between 5 and 10 ohms and am replacing the thermal fuse, so that should do the trick.
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
thats great , I knew the heater was shorted somewhere , good job, thanks Bryan