John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

Sears Coldspot Frostless 15 Spacemaster looking for a capacitor,

Customer Question

Sears Coldspot Frostless 15 Spacemaster looking for a capacitor, overload and relay for this upright freezer. Model no(NNN) NNN-NNNN This freezer has quit working. I can hear a 'clicking' sound. The fan (inside) is working but it just won't get cold/freeze anything. I have pictures of the parts that I pulled.
Can a Powerstart Relay Capacitor Overload/3-in-1 Combination relay replace these components? If so how do I find out what size to use? I can't seem to find the HP of my compressor.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for the question.

You can only use the 3n1 relay on fridges older than ten years.

Send me the model number i will find the proper relay for that model.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Well we have had this Freezer for over 17 years and got it 2nd hand. I suspect it is well over 20 years old.

Sears model Coldspot Frostless 15 Spacemaster Model no(NNN) NNN-NNNN Other info off the data plate:

Mfg's for Sears, Roebuck and Co. USA and Simpsons-Sears Limited Toronto, Ontario, Canada for Coldspot Parts and Services

115volts 60 cycles

Amps 6.0

Ref. F12 24 oz.

Heater watts 670

There is no longer the 'clicking' sound. It still does not get cold. It has been on for about 7 hours now and the inside temp went from 80F to 84F. I just shut it down. I suppose I can do a polarity check on the compressor to see if it is ok?

thanks Larry

Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.

http://www.repairclinic.com/SSPartDetail.aspx?PartID=965237&PPStack=1

It takes 24 hours for a freezer to get back to normal and that all depends on how much food is in the freezer, heres that relay you are looking for.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Ok I will leave it on for 24hrs and see if it works. I suspect it will not. I had a thermometer in there and the temperature only went up. there is no food in there it was all taken out to defrost it. After it was defrosted it would not get cold. Never happemed before.

Should I check for continuity and shorts before I get 3-1 start kit?

Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.
Ok, let it go for that time and if the compressor keeps on going and you get no cooling its more than likely a freon leak which is worse than a compressor.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

What about these concerns:

1. Should I check for continuity and shorts ?

2. I've got the freezer running. I started a little late so my '24hr' doesn't end until this evening. There is no longer the 'clicking' sound. Is that good or bad?

3. I may need a little help installing the 3-1 (shipped, but not received) Not sure of the connections from the power source. I have two wires coming from the power source (Where the cord is connected.) One is Black and one is Red. Two hot wires?

4. The connections to the compressor look simple enough. They are marked (According to the wiring diagram) M-Relay; C-Overload and S-Capacitor

I really won't know for sure until the part get here.

Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.
You should have a black red and black to connect to the compressor the other two connects to the two hot lines that are on the old relay.If the fridge is going without the clicking its working ok, so I would wait to see if it acts up again just hold on to the 3n1 relay you may need it .
John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Well the 24hr wait failed to get the freezer working.

I have attached the 3n1. I suppose I have to wait another 24. Not looking hopeful.

If the 3n1 doesn't work am I done?

Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.
Unfortunately yes if that failed to get it to work.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Well. I believe it's shot! The temperature inside went up. 95deg. The compressor also hot a bit warm.

Any recommendation as to a quality brand freezer?

Thank you for your help.

Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.

The make you have is a good dependable one.

Thanks and god Bless.