Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

I have a ge refrigerator pss26sgpa. When we put in a new water

I have a ge refrigerator pss26sgpa. When we put in a new water filter the pressure of the water dispenser only lasts about 60 days. We don't use the dispenser that much.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.

does the water stop completely or just slow to a dribble?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
After about 4 weeks, the pressure seems to fade progressively. it is now a very slow stream.
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
ok, sorry I was eating dinner, do you have hard water?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
ok chances are the filter is clogging quickly because of the hard water, these tend to clog easy, the only other possibility would be the valve but you say when you change the filter it runs good again for 60 days so the valve is probably not bad. these filters are expensive I know, is your water bad tasting without the filter?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I was wondering about the had water, but the first 4-5 filters we had lasted about 6-8 months before the pressure began to wane. Now it's with in 6 weeks. The water taste isn't too bad.
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
well the hard water may have gotten worse since you first got this, you should consider the bypass for the filter. the filters are expensive and if the water isn't bad tasting I would bypass the filter, you can get the bypass @ for around $13.00. hope this helps, thanks Bryan