Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

I need to flush my gas water heater, its a Kenmore Power Miser

I need to flush my gas water heater, it's a Kenmore Power Miser 6 (40 gal) and it's been a few years. How do I do that?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.

If you did not include a model # XXXXX your question please do on you second reply if possible,this helps us serve you faster.

this most likely isn't a flush that it needs its most likely not staying on long enough to heat the water, this could be the thermal couple or thermostat. do you have a full model #?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
This model was manufactured for Sears, Roebuck& co by Hoffman Estates, the model number isNNN-NN-NNNN
I would add that the water not getting hot has been going on for about a month.
Also a related question: isn't it likely there would be a build-up of sediment and/or scale after 10+ years?
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
that is a possibility, you can try flushing it before going further, you need to shut the gas to it then connect a garden hose to the drain valve at the bottom and open the valve # XXXXX on this diagram, open the relief valve # XXXXX and let this drain outside for about 1/2 hour, this will clean the sediment from the tank. see if it works better then , thanks Bryan

Edited by Bryan on 9/6/2010 at 4:38 PM EST