Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

Not keeping cool but still cutting on and off

when you say cutting on and off do you mean the compressor tries to start but isn't?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
no it seems to go through its regular cycle. almost like it thinks it is at the correct temperature. Freeze is stayin right at 32 and can still make ice but everything is not completely frozen, frig is staying at 59.
ok is there any frost on the back panel in the freezer at all? check real good behind the food, run you fingernail down the panel to see.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes there is and it has come back. I wiped it all down last night
ok you have a defrost problem, you need to remove the back panel in the back of the freezer and take a hair dryer and defrost all the frost off the coils, is the fan in the freezer running?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes it is still running
ok unplug the refrigerator and take the panel off and defrost it, the problem is the defrost thermostat, Part 2387this is clipped on the top of the coils, you can order this @ thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
will it work untill I get the part after I defrost it? last question
yes it will, just defrost it and put the back panel back on and it will run fine for about 3 weeks, plenty of time to get the part, hope this info helps, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
thanks for the help!!
no problem, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Still haveing the same problem again. I thought maybe I didn't let the freezer dry out enough the first time so the second time I let it dry for hours and starting the past Sunday the temp in the frig started to rise.

do you have a volt meter? did you replace the part?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I do have on and I did replace the part.
ok can you remove the back panel in the freezer again? you will need to check continuity through the heater, unplug it and check it for continuity. let me know the heater may be bad.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I can't see your picture (won't down load properly) but what I have looks like this.
and there appears to be no continuity
was the coils really clogged with frost when you took the panel off?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok sorry got called out on an emergency service call, the only thing left is the defrost timer that can cause this,
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Sorry for delay I left town for T-Day-
OK. Where is the timer and what about the heater? Isn't the heater bad if it doesn't have continuity?
yes the heater is bad if it doesn't have continuity, both the defrost terminator(thermostat) are behind the panel in the freezer and the defrost timer is either inside the refrigerator near the controls , under the doors in the front or in the back near the compressor, cant get the diagrams right now the site is down,