Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

Amana L4303 washer. Finished last cycle and now will not turn

Amana L4303 washer. Finished last cycle and now will not turn on at all. Associated symptom: recently had been stopping in mid cycle, but could always be restarted by minimally advancing the dial (intermittently). Circuits seem fine.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.

If you did not include a model # XXXXX your question please do on you second reply if possible,this helps us serve you faster.

can you recheck the model # XXXXX not comming up, thanks Bryan

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
LW4303W (Amana Heavy Duty Washer, extra large capacity 2-speed)
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
ok this can only be one of two things, 1 the lid switch, or 2 the timer itself, Part 1797 my opinion on yours is its the lid switch though, its part # XXXXX on this diagram, located under the top of the machine, take the screws out of the bottom of the front panel and remove it, its should be right there, test the switch. thanks, Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I thought that too, but it would always at least begin filling with the lid up. Are the screws in question along the top of the control panel? I don't see any other screws. There are hex screws and philips.
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
unplug the machine and remove the screws in the top of the control panel and then tip it forward.(control panel front)see if the is a switch in the panel. the diagrams are not great for this, let me know .
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Got it, but it is fastened from underneath the lid with a hex nut and I can't get to it. Trying.
I live in Oak Ridge, TN. Any where I could get a part today?
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
unfortunately I don't think any place is open today, I don't have any of these in stock right now so I cant help you with that, how many wires on it?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Two wires. It looks like a 1/4 inch hex screw holding it from below, but I can't get to it with what I have. Mechanically it looks like it is working with lid movement.
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
can you get the wires off? if so try bypassing the switch see if it runs then. if not it may be the timer, let me know, remember to unplug before trying this.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yeh, good idea! Checking.....
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
ok
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I don't think it is the lid switch....
I found when bypassing it that the machine would turn on in the spin only. No water or anything in any other position on the timer. I then hooked the lid swith back up and it did the same thing--works in spin only.

Timer malfunction?
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
try filling this with hot water only, see if it fills.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Nope.
Hot water tested with speed and load size in every position.
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
ok, its in the timer then, do you have a volt meter?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
LOL...somewhere!
Can't lay my hand on it though.