Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

I have a Roper/Whirlpool electric range and oven, with the

I have a Roper/Whirlpool electric range and oven, with the range on top of the oven. It was here when I mve din so it is at least 5 years old. All was working fine last night. This morning I go to use the range and the surface heating light came on, but after a few minutes I noticed the pan was not hot. I tried the other burners and they were not working either. Turned the oven on and it was not working . The oven heating light is not coming on. the We did have a power outage for a few minutes this morning, so I checked the fuses and they appear ok. I hope this is something simple.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.

If you did not include a model # XXXXX your question please do on you second reply if possible,this helps us serve you faster.

can you get me the model #?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I found it, FEP310kw
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
ok the first thing to do is pull the range out and unplug it, then where the cord connects take the cover off and looks at the cord connections on this, is one burned off? let me know thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok, got the cover off and it all looks new. No charring or evidence of burning.
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
ok do you have a volt meter and know how to check voltage?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No,I just have a 2 prong thing that lights up when power is coming to the outlet.
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
ok, I guess we can use that if your careful, plug this in and go between the center post and the red outside post(where the red wire is connected) see if it lights up. then do the other side (black) the same way see if it lights up. I have a feeling one isn't working. be real careful , let me know what you find.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
OK, the 120 light lights up when I checked all the posts
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
ok so if you get 120 volts on both side there is a problem in the oven, most likely a burnt wire somewhere. does you light have 240 volts on it also or just 120?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, it has 240 on it also.

Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
great. take it and go to the two outside posts and see if you get 240 volts.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
When I touch the red prong to the red post and the black prong to the black prong I get no light coming on at all.
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
ok that means your missing one side of the power, you should get 240v, 120v and 120v. one of your fuses is bad in the house, try changing them and it should work again, its not the range which is good news, thanks, Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.