Randy 43
Randy 43, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20 yrs experience 18 in home,gas license , refrigeration expert

i have a maytag ref. freezer not getting cold

Category: Appliance
Expert:  Randy 43 replied 3 years ago.
Hi ,these parts for the defrost cycle would indicate you are getting a frost build up? is that why you installed them?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
yes this has happened before the lamp has gone out 3 times and the defrost timer once and i have replaced the t stat once before also
Expert:  Randy 43 replied 3 years ago.
when you say lamp do you mean the heater? so right now the evaporator is over frosted again? if its not you may have a different issue ?if the fridge isnt getting cold
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
no the evaporator is not frosted over
Expert:  Randy 43 replied 3 years ago.
ok,if its not frosted over then you dont have a defrost problem, with the evaporator cover off is there a light freezing all the way thru the evaporator? also is the fan running in the freezer?is the center strip between the doors hot?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
yes there is a light freezing the center strip do you mean the door edge
Expert:  Randy 43 replied 3 years ago.
the strip in between the the freezer and the fridge doors,how about the fan ? is it running? also when you say there is a light freezing is it from top to bottom ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
the fan is running, the light freezing is from top to bottom, the stripp between the ref and freezer is hot to touch
Expert:  Randy 43 replied 3 years ago.
If the strip is hot to touch then the condenser fan is not running ,the strip should be warm but not so hot you cant touch it ,if you pull the fridge out check to make sure the fan beside the compressor is running ,if its not? the compressor will be running hot and most likely cutting out and affecting temps in the fridge..let me know
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
i wil check this and get back to you , the strip is hop but not to the point you can not touch
Expert:  Randy 43 replied 3 years ago.
ok, while your back there confirm that the compressor is running as well. if the freezer fan,condenser fan and compressor are all running and the freezer is nt getting cold then there is going to be a problem in the sealed system,either a inefficient compressor or small leak
Randy 43, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 20 yrs experience 18 in home,gas license , refrigeration expert