Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
in most cases its the thermal fuse that goes in these ,Part 516650 .# XXXXX on this diagram, its located on the blower housing inside the dryer, check it for continuity , if it has none its bad, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Good continuity on the thermal fuse. Just to remind you. The dryer shows all lights but it will not either turn on or turn off. I hope that helps
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
so you cant shut the control panel off either then? do any of the buttons beep when you push them?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

No button beep

Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.

so the touch pad is not responding at all. I'm sending you the links to the technical data from Maytag, these have diagnostics and trouble shooting, you will need to go through these and see where the problem is, there is no easy fix without testing this, the only way to do it is with the tech sheets, these are for techs only usually. I just don't want to start guessing as to what the cause is and have you get the wrong part.(expensive) so go through the technical steps in these. thanks Bryan

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
We can not find our dryer in the sheets referred to. We did however push some of the buttons for the 5 minutes suggested on the 1999 Maytag site and the buttons did beep. We purchased the dryer in 2004. Can you refer to the manual for our dryer. MDG 6800AWW. Thank you
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.

this link is for all maytag service sheets, click it pick literature by model then enter your model #.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I already accepted your answer although it did not fix the machine and I will have to call a repair man to get it fixed. I will check on my credit card and if it has not been billed, I will be glad to accept this answer.
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
ok, do you want to check some other things or are you done trying on this?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Per your suggestion, I tried to check the codes on the machine and couldn't get them to give a code as per the instruction book. Mine is the "13" unit not the 15. If you can tell me how to get the machine to check the codes, it might give me a answer as to whether I need to call a repair man or to purchase a new machine.
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
ok I did some research on this and the problem seems to be the control board from what I've read. but you would be taking a $177.00 chance if that wasn't it, don't want to see you do that, at least you know what your looking at price wise if the tech says you need one, then you can figure another 90-120 dollars for labor, so if it is the board your looking at over $300.00 so take that into consideration before calling a tech. you could almost replace the machine for that, 90 % of the time its the board. thanks Bryan