Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

We have a Maytag dryer that stop working. Drum rotates freely;

We have a Maytag dryer that stop working. Drum rotates freely; when the start button is pushed we here a hum and othing else happens.
model # XXXXX XXXXX 8200ACW.

the drum rotates freely , does the hum sound like a motor running or like a louder buzz? have someone hold the door button in while you push the start button and spin the drum, see if this starts,

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
OK got it.
ok let me know. thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

It's a quiet electrical hum coming from thr switch. The motor is not running so it's not a broken belt. I tried turning the drum while pushing the button to jump start the motor and it didn't help. My guess is something with the timer, switch or bad motor?

the hum is comming from the start switch itself?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
We just tried it a couple more times and the hum seems to coming from the interior. Now it nothing happens when we push the button.
ok, unfortunately the start windings in the motor are shot, you will need to replace the motor, the entire dryer has to come apart to do this, also since you don't hear any noise at all now you probably blew the thermal fuse. this will happen if the motor is bad, Part 1660hope this helps, thanks Bryan