Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

My refrigerator is not freezing or cooling. The fan is turning

My refrigerator is not freezing or cooling. The fan is turning but, we hear a sound like something is trying to turn or start. The fan is not hitting anything so we aren't sure what the sound is. It seems to be coming from a small black box with red and white wires coming from it. Can you help us?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.

is the sound comming from the back of the refrigerator near the compressor? is it a slight buzz then a click?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No it is more like a clanging sound like the fan would make if it was hitting something metal as it turns, then a click intermittently.
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
ok, inside or outside the refrigerator?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
We opened the back lower cardboard panel and this box is near the floor by the fan not inside the actual refrigerator.
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
ok , you are talking about the compressor probably, Part 586562?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The sound seems to be coming from the little square box, not the big compressor. My husband jiggled the wires and it sounds like it might have "kicked in". I will go check.
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
ok your going to need the compressor relay, does yours look like this? Part 586537its on the side of the compressor. they used different ones in these not sure which one you need.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Do you mean I need to go buy that little black box? Can I purchase one at say Home Depot? I'm not sure what I need to do now?.
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
well Home Depot wont have this, you would need to either order one on line or if you have a local appliance parts supply store nearby they should have it, the is what start the compressor , it plugs onto the side of the compressor, if you don't think you can do it you need to call for service before you loose everything and this can also damage the compressor. thanks Bryan