Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

My GE Profile Side by Side (PSW23PTSASS) defrosts too long

My GE Profile Side by Side (PSW23PTSASS) defrosts too long or too hot, so the ice in the ice tray melts, the water drips down forming an ice cycle and then refreezes. What should I investigate to fix the problem. This happens every couple or several days.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.

Hi, Ralph, this is Bryan , i will be working with you on this today, does this shut down completely for some period of time and if so how long?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Bryan, I don't know if the whole system shuts down or not, or for how long. I noticed the problem the other evening, the ice was melting in the ice tray, so I dumped it out and turned off the ice maker. The next morning, things were semi- thawed so I emptied the freezer, cleaned it, and put a thermometer in it to monitor temps. It was up around 20 degrees at that point, but the system was working and it subsequently dropped down to -0 degrees. It rethawed again about three days later.
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
ok this is a mother board issue, you will need to replace it, this controls defrost, its called a main board service kit,
Kit main board service
Appliance Part Mouse OverAppliance Part Mouse OverAppliance Part Mouse Over
Mouse over to see other views. Everything you see is included in this part.
the part # XXXXX WR49X10152, the cheapest place to order this is , its part # XXXXX on this diagram, hope this info helps, thanks Bryan

Edited by Bryan on 9/3/2010 at 1:03 PM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Thanks for the info. Can you tell me where I find the mother board, how to access it, and what is required to replace it? (soldering wires or just plug in connectors, etc.)

Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
just click the link in the last reply I sent you, it will bring you right to it, the digram above also shows where its located, itys on the back of the refrigerator behind an 8x10" cover, pull the refrigerator away from the wall and you will see it, thanks Bryan