Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

My Duet washer is displaying error code F09. The door wont

Customer Question

My Duet washer is displaying error code F09. The door won't open after pressing stop/cancel. There is water visible at a level that it will spill when the door is open. I'm ready for that with towel and bucket, but don't understand the F09 code. I've had an F02 (drain) issue before when the water would not exit (had a baby sock stuck plugging the drain hose.

So, I'm trying to understand how an F09 is different from an F02 and how to attempt to address it myself before requesting service.

Thanks!

-Steve XXX@XXXXXX.XXX
cell XXX-XXX-XXXX
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.

this is the meaning,

/09

Overflow Condition

If the Overflow contact on the pressure switch is Closed for more than 60 seconds and Overflow condition will occur. In an Overflow condition, the Door will remain locked, and the Drain Pump will run constantly, even if PAUSE/CANCEL is pressed twice and the Display is cleared. Unplug the unit to service.

• Check the drain hose and make sure it is not plugged or inked.
  • Check Wire Harness connectors to the Drain Pump, Pressure Switch, and Central Control Unit (CCU)
  • Check/Clean Drain Pump Filter of foreign objects
  • Check for Drain Pump Failure
  • Check the Inlet Valve for proper shut off
  • Check the Pressure switch for proper operation
do you have the model #?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Bryan. Thank you. I'm not at the house at this moment. I will attempt what you suggested later today or tomorrow and will get you paid.

A couple of concerns I have to be able to attempt your suggested fixes:
* How do I get the front panel off to access the drain pump and other related parts? (I've seen this guy before so I know about where it is)
* The other parts mentioned in your reply I don't know where they are located: CCU and inlet valve.

If you need the specific Duet model number to answer this, I'll also look for that when I get home. If there is a diagram you can send that maps out where these parts are located, send it if it will save you some time.

This is my first time using JustAnswer, so I'm intrigued by this process. I'm also a bit of a novice and may ask some "dumb" questions. Your patience is appreciated and I'll keep that in mind when totally my payment. It's still a lot cheaper than a service call.

Thanks again, Bryan.

Steve XXX@XXXXXX.XXX
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
on the very bottom under the panel there are three screws, they are real hard to see, you have to lay on the floor to see them, take them out and the pump is right there, your biggest problem is how much water is in this, you can open the door by reaching up where the door lock is and pull the little ring to open the door, if you open the trap on the pump without getting most of the water out you will flood your house, the ring looks like this but you cant see it you need to feel it, unplug the machine before doing anything, the ring is on the left in this picture but faces down in the machine, hope this helps, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
THANK YOU so much, Bryan. Very swift response! I'll attempt this tonight or in the morning a get back to you. Diagram is fabulous. Tells me what I'm groping for and how large it is. fantastic. I'll be in touch w/in 24 hrs. If successful, I'll accept and wrap this up. Cheers.

Steve
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
your welcome . talk again soon, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Bryan, just a quick update to keep you in the loop. Your advice was very helpful - the picture you sent was priceless! I knew exactly what I was groping for.

No obstruction found. I both blew and sucked with a wet vac' on the drain hose from the pump to the exit portal on the back, and the hose from the washer to the drain pipe as two separate segments. Lines are clear.

So I believe the problem is the:
* Drain pump motor itself
* Mechanism or valve that allows the drum to drain
* Drain path from drum to pump. I can see the bottom leg of this from where I took the pump housing off. It's clear as far as I can tell.

I'm trying to work with a guy to get the motor tested today. I'll keep you posted. If it works, it may be a valve or mechanism between the drum and the drain pump.

I know this is like a question and a half. I'm aware of that and will factor that in when I wrap up the transaction. I already owe you a testimonial about sending that diagram. That was extremely helpful.

Steve
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
no problem Steve, let me know how you make out, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Bryan,

Problem update: The motor seems to run fine. I connected AC power to it and it hummed along smoothly. So the motor's fine, the hoses are unobstructed, but water remains undrained in the drum. The problem has been intermittent for a long time. We had two service calls. One pulled a bunch of junk out from the kid's pockets. However the problem returned after both calls. So, I think the junk was just one source of a multi-source problem.

My layman's logic now tells me that the problem is narrowed down to an electrical switch or a valve that is behaving erratically.

How should we proceed? I value your advice and would like to offer to leave this next stage of the problem in your hands. I see this as a second problem, but I'm not sure how to "Accept Answer" on this problem, get you paid, and and create a ticket for a second problem that goes directly to you rather into the pool for other experts.

Please advise, and I"ll get you paid for what you've done so far. If there's no way to direct the next issue directly to you, we can keep this ticket open and I'll simply pay you double in the form of a tip. Just tell what works best for you.

Thanks for everything. Enjoy your Labor Day.

Steve
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
hi Steve, can you get me the full model #. you most likely have a bad drain pump in this, since you've had multiple drain clogs my guess is the pump impeller is stripped. just keep working on this post, no need to open a new one. thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Bryan,

Model is GHW9100LW2 from the bar code inside the door.

Let me know what's next. No problem keeping it all on same ticket if that works for you. Thx.

Steve
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
thats fine with me Steve, ok the problem has to be the drain pump itself thats failed, you check all the lines and filter so it must be stripped(see this a lot) the plastic impeller comes loose on the shaft, whether you believe it or not Sears has the best price on this, heres the link, http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/part-number/Whirlpool-Parts/Washer-Parts/280187/0026/110/Model-GHW9100LW2/1198/0153200?keySuffixId=NA&a mp;productTypeId=x&searchModelNumber=GHW9100LW2&subCompDesc=Pump%20and%20motor%20parts&brandDesc=WHIRLPOOL&modelDesc=RESIDENTIAL-WASHER&blt=11 I just cant see any other reason for this not draining, I really hope I've helped you , thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Bryan, thanks a million. Keeping my fingers crossed. I ordered the part. Expected delivery date is 09/15/10. I'll let you know when it does. Feel free to touch base if you've not heard from me. My direct email is (I spelled it phonetically since JustAnswer may edit these): Customer "at" email "dot" com (XXXXX@XXXXXX.XXX).

Thanks

Steve
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
ok Steve talk later thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
FYI, Sears shipped the part today via 3-day. Will be in touch next week. Have a good weekend, Bryan.
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
thanks, Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Bryan. Thanks. I'm accepting your answer and including a tip for your extra help with the pictures.

Update: I installed the pump late last week. All seems to be working normally. However, fixing that impeller helped me realize that I have a compound problem. The impeller had likely been deteriorating and working intermittently for a while. It's total failure resulted in me submitting my problem here in the first place.

After fixing it, it has exposed a second problem: The tub now reliably drains after each cycle (since the drain pump is fixed). However, the tub consistently fills up with water over several hours after the completion of the cycle. So, there is a problem with the valve system that shunts the water flow between in input ports and the tub.

I insist on creating new problem since I want to get you paid, and it is indeed a compound issue.

Thank you. I think I have the option of opening a new question/ticket with you specifically. I'm new to this so if I can't figure it out, I'll let you know.

Thanks.

Steve
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
your welcome Steve, let me know, thanks Bryan