Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

I have a 1983 Roper corp. stove and microwave combo (one unit).

I have a 1983 Roper corp. stove and microwave combo (one unit). The microwave has quit and will only make a whirring noise. I realise this is an obsolute unit (and then some!) but wonder if it is reparable. Didn't Whirlpool buy out Roper several years ago?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.

well what s bad in this is the magnetron most likely, Part 587600its listed as no longer available, there are limited parts still available for this but not to many, the other problem is you will need a tech to service this, and would have to pay him to tell you he cant get the part, sorry, thanks Bryan

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Would it be possible-or practical-to attempt to remove what I can of the unit and try to place another microwave inside the shell??
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
are the controls for the oven in the control panel on the microwave or are they separate? no diagrams available.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Those controls are on the stove. (Don' be concered. I am going to press green!)
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
I'm not concerned, ok some of these do separate from the lower oven and you could slide a new one in the opening, I'm wish I could tell you how on yours but cant find any diagrams, remove the trim though and you should see screws there,
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I was incorrect. The oven contol buttons ARE on the micro unit. Thanks for your assistance. This dinosaur has served me well over the years!!
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
sorry unfortunately theres no way to separate them without losing the oven, time to replace I guess, well wishes and thanks, Bryan