Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

My question is why the vinyl strips on my freezer door and

My question is why the vinyl strips on my freezer door and also on the top of the refrigerator door (outside) are turning yellow. I just finished paying for this refrigerator and can't understand the discoloration issue. Whirlpool, Model #ER2CHMSP005.
This was not a cheap refrigerator and I'm most dissatisfied!
this strip yellows because there is a heater that runs through it to prevent it from freezing the door seal to the refrigerator when shut in humid areas. There really isn't much you can do about the yellowing, it's just a bad design on new refrigerator. You do want to make sure that your refrigerator has 1" of air space all the way around the left, right, and top of it to make sure it can vent and cool properly as this will cause the yellowing to occur much faster.