John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

I have a gu1200xtls0 whirlpool dishwasher and its not spraying

I have a gu1200xtls0 whirlpool dishwasher and its not spraying hard anymore. I cleaned out the grinding screen screen. That worked for a brief period. Now it sound as if it just dribbles out when running in any cycle.

Should I replace the impeller only? Is it better to replace the pump and motor as a unit?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  John replied 6 years ago.

Thanks for the question.

Does the motor sound like its going slower than normal.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It sounds like its running at normal speed. I purposly left dishes off the bottom rack and it sounds like it just dribbling out of the top sprayer arm. I recently checked for clogs and found none. Is there a gasket at the rear I overlooked?
Expert:  John replied 6 years ago.
No theres no gasket , its a common problem with that make for the wash impeller to wear and not push the water to the spray arm, i would replace the impeller.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Is the impeller replacement a simple fix or are there special tool needed such as a press or special spaner to hold the shaft while removing the impeller. Is everything in the impeller kit I need so I don't get started and find that I should have also ordered a seal or other misc. item?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
This dishwasher is probably close to or at 10 years old. What are the chances of something else going wrong after I get it all back together? I am thinking that given its's age the #14 complete unit would save a headache or 2 down the road or is this unit more dependable than I am giving it credit for?
Expert:  John replied 6 years ago.

http://www.partselect.com/PartDetail.aspx?Inventory=973499&SourceCode=1

That would be the way to go, you were lucky to get 10 yrs out of that unit,

for another $ 200.00 you can buy a new d/w though.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I think I will go that way since the unit came with the house when we moved in 6 years ago. I am saving more than half the price of a new one from what I have seen at Lowes and Home Depot. I wanted to do business with the local store but the prices seemed out of line.

Is the impeller kit a fairly straight forward replacement? Or do I need any extras that I mentioned in my last communication.

Expert:  John replied 6 years ago.
No extras required the impeller kit comes with the motor seals.