Mike, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing appliances for 25 years, I run my own appliance repair business.

I bought a LG Fridge Freezer approximately 3 years ago. The

I bought a LG Fridge Freezer approximately 3 years ago. The model is No Frost, Multi Air Flow, GR-389SQF. The no frost function has stopped working and a slab of ice is building up on the bottom below the last draw of the freezer. Any idea why this would suddenly start happening and how can this be fixed?
C Schutte, PMB, South Africa
Hi the issue here is not the defrost system is bad but the defrost drain is blocked.

Remove the shelfs and food from the freezer then take out the panel at the back of freezer. You will see ice build up in the drain pan below the evaporator. Melt ice with hairdryer/heat gun you will see a hole in pan that leads to drain tube. Pour some hot water in pan..wait a couple minutes. Mop up water and repeat this step 2-3 times....once you have done this find some flexible curtain wire or electrical wire and poke it down the hole until you see the water drain. Now it is clear.

If you have any questions please feel free to ask. Mike
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Thanks for the answer. Just one more thing. The problem was caused by a piece of insulation tape and foam which was jammed between two tiny pipes leading into the radiator. This seemd to have disolved and the sticky black stuff blocked the hole. How important was this piece of foam? The fridge is now running without it.

Hi you can take the foam off without any ill effects. Mike