Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

Our refridgerator and freezer are running but not cooling.

Customer Question

Our refridgerator and freezer are running but not cooling. Air is being pushed into fridge/freezer but it is only cool not cold enough to chill/freeze. Prior to this problem it would make a thunking/hissing noise periodically. The unit is a side by side GE and only 4 years old should we call a tech or replace?.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.

do you hear the compressor in the back running? is there any clicking comming from the back> is there any frost on the back panel in the freezer section?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I do hear the compressor running. I just turned it back on but I did hear an occasional clicking prior. There is no frost on the back panel of freezer. Everything sounds fine except the air coming out is not cold enough.
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
can you remove the back panel in the freezer section? we need to check the frost pattern on the coils, if this is a sealed system problem its covered for 5 years by G.E.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It appears to me to be a sealed system - in order to remove I would have to unscrew all shelving and then remove a corner seal on both sides. I did purchase the extention to warranty from GE would it still be covered (if you know)?
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
yes this should be covered then, I would call and they will tell you, if it is dont work on it they may void the warranty, thanks, Bryan