SubZero_Wolf Expert
SubZero_Wolf Expert, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Licensed Appliance Journeyman

I have a dishwasher (model #917-710/ serial #60010098) that

I have a dishwasher (model #917-710/ serial #60010098) that was installed in 1999. I am having a couple of problems that the troubleshooting guide does not address. First, the dishwasher runs along time. Up to 4 hours even at "delicate" setting. Second, there is a grinding noise during the end of the cycle. Third, (just today), there is no water entering the dishwasher. I have checked the sink (good drainage and normal function), the disposal (cleared and normal running) and the lines running to the dishwasher (no apparent problems). I can't find a dealer or technician in my area (Cottage Grove Oregon). Help!
Category: Appliance
Expert:  SubZero_Wolf Expert replied 3 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
SubZero_Wolf Expert :

Hello, I can help you with this. What brand is your dishwasher? Thanks

Customer :

Gaggenau

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

The first issue is likely a failed heater relay on the control.

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

Regarding the lack of water, when you close the door with the cycle selected, what does the machine do?

Customer :

The machine starts - just no water. This problem just started today.

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

So the pump starts, then a pause when the water should enter, then the wash motor starts but with no water?

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

Is the drain pump just running continuously?

Customer :

The pump starts. I am not sure if the motor starts. It all sounds normal, just no water. Oh, it could be the drain pump is what I hear running.

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

If the pump is just running forever with no pauses then you have water in the lower base pan and the unit is in "flood mode" We should remove the kick plate and insulation and check for water in the pan.

Customer :

OK How do I do this?

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

There are two screws on the kickplate. they may be star screws.

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

You should know that this is not related to the 4 hr run time and that is a 200$ part.

Customer :

Oh, well depending on what the other problems may be, it may be more economical to purchase a new dishwasher!

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

These are classic for the heater relay failure. There is a way to verify, but it involves taking the door and control panel apart.

Customer :

I don't think I have a kickplate. The door is solid. On the bottom inside of the dishwasher, there is a filter and a screen. If I remove these items, there is a "well" that sometimes has water in it. It looks empty. However, I do notice a crack along the back wall. Perhaps this is contributing to the problem?

Customer :

The heater relay failure makes sense.

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

Oh my. That crack is how the water got in the base pan. That is very bad. Just so you know the kick plate is below where the door is. The very bottom front of the machine. Not that it matters anymore. If you have a cracked sump and a failed heater relay on a 10yr old dw, then it is time for a new one.

Customer :

OK! To the appliance store we go.....

Customer :

Thanks for your help (it's kind of what I was thinking anyway)

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

Glad to help. Good luck and don't forget to accept. Thanks, Sam

Customer :

will do.

Experience: Licensed Appliance Journeyman