servicegeek
servicegeek, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I have been a service tech for over 10 years at a leading service company.
47503688

My Maytag toploading washer is making squealing noises. They

Customer Question

My Maytag toploading washer is making squealing noises. They began after I washed a heavy yet small rug. The noise is getting louder each time I use the washer.
What shall I do? Could I repair this problem myself?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  servicegeek replied 6 years ago.
Hey i will be glad to help you out. This is probably going to be a major problem with the washer. You need to remove the front panel by inserting a flathead screwdriver in between the front and top panel. push the two tabs on each side and the lid should raise up. now you can unbolt the front panel from the inside . You need to look and see in the plastic ring is worn at the bottom. This is what the tub rides on and if it wears out it will cause a noise. Also check the belt on the bottom and make sure it is not slipping. It could just be the belt but you need to check the stuff on the inside because it could be a major problem. To replace that plastic ring or any transmission or brake parts require special tools and trained technician. Hope this helps and please remember to click accept