John, restaurant equipment technician
Experience:  25+ years experience. I'm now employed by a commercial cooking equipment service company
22250861

I have a Norcold R.V fridge in my 1994 Dutchmen 5th wheel camper.

Customer Question

I have a Norcold R.V fridge in my 1994 Dutchmen 5th wheel camper. This fridge has not been used in several years. I tried to get it to work off of propane. I have the ignition switch to on and can see the burner light work for several seconds and then it goes off. I can hear the gas coming through as I release but the ignitor will not lit it. I am unsure why it would show me a burner light right away and then die out and not start again.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  John replied 3 years ago.
Will you please send me the model number for your fridge, so I can get technical information on it?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
i belive it is a 482,3. Also the fridge is level and is getting gas to the unit.
Expert:  John replied 3 years ago.

To answer your question about the burner lighting off, then going out again, the spark ignitor, in addition to lighting the burner, acts as a flame proofer for the ignition module. When heated sufficiently, it send a signal to the module that indicates it's safe to open the gas valve.

Over time the ignition wire moves away from the flame due to the heating and cooling that it's subjected to. It finally reaches a point where the signal is to the module is too weak to keep the gas valve open. The solution is to gently bend the ignition wire back to it's original postion in the flame.

The model number you posted is not on Norcold's list, and we'll need to find the correct number should parts be needed. If you go to www.thetford.com, and select the RV tab,

you'll be give a list of their available models. Clicking on any of them will give you a photo of that model, and a description. By checking each model number, you should be able to find yours.

If my answer helps you, please click on the 'accept' button.

Thank you for choosing just answer.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.
I believe that it is going to be a error in the ignition switch...it shows its on but does not actually light the pilot. I had somebody lit it by hand as I activated the gas line, that solved the issue.
Expert:  John replied 3 years ago.
OK. Thank you.