Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

Hello, Maytag model MBF1956KEB fridg/ bottom freezer. Upper

Hello, Maytag model MBF1956KEB fridg/ bottom freezer. Upper shelf temps at 58- 60 degrees, lower section under crisper draws, 50 degrees. Was told fridge gave off a funny odor last night. Bottom  freezer is below 0 as per my inferred temp probe. There is a slight build up off frostly ice on the pull out draw of the freezer when opened. I have cleaned all the coils.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 6 years ago.
if you pull the freezer drawer open, do you hear a fan running? And is there any frost build up on the back wall inside the freezer?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Fan is running and there's a light coating of frost on the wall
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 6 years ago.
This is a very common problem with these units unfortunately. It means that your unit is no longer defrosting so the air isn't being able to circulate properly from the freezer into the refrigerator. You'll need to pull everything out of the freezer and remove the lower back panel and thaw out all the frost behind this panel inside the freezer with a hair dryer to defrost the unit. You can also just turn the refrigerator off for 24 hours and have it thaw out on it's own if you didn't want to take the unit apart.

To prevent the frost from coming back in a few weeks, you need to order and replace the Adaptive Defrost Control (ADC) located inside the refrigerator section which is also your display control panel. Below is a link to the ADC you'll want to order and replace.

CLICK HERE
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
<p>Is this ADC located in under the cover /housing where the lights bulbs are mounted? If so how do you get access to the area , I see no screws?</p><p>Also will the fridge run constantly when this part is defective?Thanks</p>
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 6 years ago.
yes, that is where it's located. That entire plastic shroud unclips all the way around if you pry in the crease with a flat head screw driver or putty knife. There are probably 20 plastic clips so it's clipped in all the way around.