Bob L Your  Appl Pal
Bob L Your Appl Pal, Home Appliance Tech
Experience:  23 Years Major Appliance Repair
14958677

The disposal has been in limited use over the summer, and now

Customer Question

The disposal has been in limited use over the summer, and now when I turn on the power it just hums like it wants to work but nothing happens. It is a Badger 7. I tried the reset button but no "click" was heard when I did it, and it didn't work afterwards. I tried a hex wrench on top, and an allen wrench underneath, to no avail. the thing seems to be moving freely when I stick a long cleaning brush down to make it turn. Can't figure it out.
Thanks for any help you can give!
Sharon
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bob L Your Appl Pal replied 6 years ago.
Welcome to Just Answer..My name is XXXXX XXXXX used the allen wrench from the bottom and it did not turn...It does turn from the top...Then the shaft is broken...The bottom part of shaft is locked up...The top half is spinning because the top half of shaft is broken...Unfortunately you will need to replace the disposal...
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
the allen wrench on the bottom does cause it to turn, and the hex wrench on the top also causes it to turn. What now?
So you can turn it from top and bottom..And you are getting no hum once the reset was pushed in...If so then flip the breaker at the main panel in house...Then try the reset button..If still no hum ..Then check the wire connections from the disposal to the main power under sink..
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I have always gotten the hum at all times with whatever I have done. The reset button appears to have no impact at all. IS there supposed to be some order of operations as far as pushing the reset button in goes? Also, what about allen wrench in bottom, hex wrench up top and turning in opposite directions in the event it is rusted, does that idea make sense. Which way (clockwise/counterclockwise) should I be turning either / or the allen wrench and/or the hex wrench?
There is actually a special tool which comes with the disposal when purchased...It is different than a allen wrench...But can be used (have used the allen many times on the job)..If you can spin the choppers from the top then the shaft is either broken or the motor is spinning with the choppers....If you put the wrench in from the bottom...As you turn it and looking down from the top you should see the blade move also...If not the shaft is broken...Which is why the unit is humming...To reset all you need to do is push in on the reset button...If it is humming then your problem has nothing to do with the reset button..All the reset button does is restore power to the unit...Your motor is not turning most likely because the shaft has broken which is hanging up the motor...Which causes the humming..

Edited by MasterTech on 9/1/2010 at 11:59 AM EST