John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.

Hi there, The parts for my dryer finally arrived. Problem

Customer Question

Hi there,
The parts for my dryer finally arrived. Problem is, one thermostat has changed and came with a male/female adapter and a bad diagram of how to connect it. It's the heating element thermal cut-off fuse that is different. Can you help? Thanks
Category: Appliance
Expert:  John replied 3 years ago.
What is the part number of these thermostats
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
item# XXXXX from Repair Clinic
Expert:  John replied 3 years ago.
For what model and make please.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Roper REX 5634 KQ0
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
yes it is.
Expert:  John replied 3 years ago.

Don't they look like the ones you replaced.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The one that goes on the top of the heater casing is the same. it's the irregular shaped one and 2 red wires connect to it. That is the one that needed replacing and I can do that.

The other is thermostat that connects to the heating element. The old one had a "tail"
where the orange wire connected, this one doesn't. The instructions say that the part has changed and has this note: "Attach one end of the jumper wire to the thermostat and the other end to the element." which wire is that?
then: "If there is a 3/16" terminal connected to the direct connect thermostat then one end of the jumper wire must be cut off and the male/female combination terminal crimped into place. Then the male/female terminal must be cut off of the wire harness and the 1/4" female crimped onto the wire. Then that wire must be attached to the male/female combination terminal. That's it.

Expert:  John replied 3 years ago.
You use the jumper wire supplied and connect one end to the thermostat and the other to the element.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes but then that leaves the origional 2 red wires and 1 orange wire hanging there.???
Expert:  John replied 3 years ago.
Do you not have two wires to the hi limit , two to the element which one of those wires comes from the thermostat and another to the element.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
You know,i truly think they sent me the wrong part. This looks like the origional and, yes, the #'s match. They actually recommended the wrong part! (High-limit thermostat, L250-80, with terminal extension arm #898078.) Gosh I can't believe we went through all this!

Expert:  John replied 3 years ago.
This wouldn't be the first time the wrong parts were sent, if you still have the old parts take them to an appliance parts store they will sell you the proper parts.
John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I went to my local parts store and they offered me the same kit. It turns out Whirlpool
doesn't sell the thermal cut-off fuse by itself. They only sell it with this other fuse which needs to be adapted, and then, it only works on timed heat, not auto.
So I endedup keeping the 2-fuse kit from Repair Clinic and buying a new thermostat
in addition. I guess a lot of people have that extra fuse sitting around on a shelf. Shame
on Whirlpool!
Anyhow my dryer is working and I'm happy for that. Thanks for your help!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
on Whirlpool!

Expert:  John replied 3 years ago.
Well I guess its one way of getting rid of parts thats obsolete.