Craig
Craig, Electrical Technician
Experience:  33 years experience electrical troubleshooting industrial equipment and control systems.
21549903

I have a Genie Garage Door Opener - model PCG650 (manufactured

Customer Question

I have a Genie Garage Door Opener - model PCG650 (manufactured in 1998) and i just bought a new remote Genie GICT390 - 3 Button. When I program it, only the center button will work, and the two other buttons will not. What can I do?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Craig replied 4 years ago.
Each button must be treated as an individual remote and must be programmed like the one you already did:

1. Programming.
NOTE: Each button on a multi-button remote is
designed for use with 1 door.
You cannot program
2 buttons to operate the same door, nor
can you program 1 button to operate 2 doors.
• For each button.
– Program each button separately.
– Follow single button remote procedure
(previous page) for each button.
2. Operating.
• Same as single button remote.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I did all of that already. I thought that would have been obvious. It does not work.
Expert:  Craig replied 4 years ago.
Have you tried changing the 'dip switches' inside the remote and controller for a different frequency? Is this new or has it worked on all three buttons before?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
There are no dip switches. it is an intellicode unit and it is new. I have followed the instructions implicitly. I have completely reset the units. When I program the buttons that "dont work" - the indicator on the receiver units show that it "should be" working, but the door doesn't move. The doors work with the other units. I have two of these "new units" that I bought today and they both do the same thing.
Expert:  Craig replied 4 years ago.
Are you sure that these 'new units" are in fact 'compatible' with this controller? This sounds like a compatibility issue to ,me. The door and receiver are obviously working as well as the other transmitters. This would direct me towards the new units compatibility.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
According to all of the technical documentation, it is compatible. Further, one of the three buttons works.
Expert:  Craig replied 4 years ago.
In the documentation, what does it say for the other two buttons programming for additional door controllers or function?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Expert:  Craig replied 4 years ago.
This is the instructions for the receiver unit which is the controller, not the actual transmitter. I would have to say the other two buttons on the transmitter are not compatible with this controller and this is why they don't program. It's obviously not another problem due to the fact that the main button does learn the frequency code, but the other two do not. I would have to say the transmitters are not capable of functioning with the controller. Are there separate instructions for the transmitter that came in the box with it? Something that may shed some new light on this?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
that is the transmitter
Expert:  Craig replied 4 years ago.
Just to confirm, you do actually press the other buttons you are programming 'TWICE' when learn light is flashing? It has to by acknowledged tow times to confirm within 30 seconds.

Edited by Craig on 8/29/2010 at 4:49 PM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes the first time the light goes from flashing to solid and then goes out - indicating that the programming took. Then, when you press the button again, the "receive light" opn the receiver goes on as if it is working properly...only no door movement.
Expert:  Craig replied 4 years ago.
In step 2-4 in the instructions, it says that when the button is pressed the second time to confirm, the light goes out. You say yours is giving the receive light? That is not what the instructions say it should do, it should go out.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
thanks for your time... i do not think you will be able to help us
Expert:  Craig replied 4 years ago.
It's not me, it's your transmitter.