Appliance Tech Larry
Appliance Tech Larry, Home Appliance tech
Experience:  Over 35 years of in home appliance repair and service
14308609

My dryer made a really loud popping noise when I started it.

Customer Question

My dryer made a really loud popping noise when I started it. Then it quit rotating inside and it smells like something is burning.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Tech Larry replied 6 years ago.
please remember we are not in your home to do the repair or test our self and cant always be 100% and can always overlook something / thanks

when you try to start the dryer what does it do ,, any hum or buzzing
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No. It actually sounds like it's working fine. But I put a pair of short inside to see if they moved at all. I turned the dryer on for a/b 5 seconds and then opened it up. The shorts hadn't moved and the smell coming from the dryer was horrible. It smelled like hair burning.
open the door and tell me if you can turn the tub real easy
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I can. I already tried it several time. I thought maybe it was j/stuck. But it moves fine.
may i have the model number please so i can look at the dryer
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I'm not sure which number it is. Inside the dryer door there is a sticker...it says

MOD 110.66112500

SER MS 321126

Type:

D433-ELE-2406078-FM54

remove the filter and the two screws under it and pop the top panel up from the front and tell me if you see the belt around the drum please
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Well, unfortunately, that's a bit of a problem for me. My husband is a football coach and is at practice right now. I don't know where he keeps his tools. Even if I did know, I have no idea what/where the filter is. I guess I will suggest he do that when he gets home.

I'm sorry! Thank you very much for you help though. I'm assuming the money already went through.

the belt has broke or popped off and need to be replaced and you can get it at a local appliance parts dealer near you and the part number is XXXXX and cost about $20 ,, Glad i could help you with your problem today so please hit the accept button for me before you leave so i may be paid ,, Thanks
i will be off line for rest of the day to take my insulin and rest up so if you need more information please ask now or please hit the accept button for me or i will be back in the morning / thanks Larry