Repairman1981
Repairman1981, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  7 years Repairing Appliances, Factory Trained in Several Major Brands
41736587

I have an Amana DLW330RAW washer. The washer burnt a belt.

I have an Amana DLW330RAW washer. The washer burnt a belt. I replaced the belt and watched the first cycle on the new belt for problems. When reaching the spin cycle, the motor pulley continues to spin and pump but the spin pulley under the tub stops. This is causing the belt to stop and it is burning up on the one moving pulley. Both pulleys turn freely by hand. Any suggestions?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Repairman1981 replied 4 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Repairman1981 :

If you take the belt off, can you spin the tub pulley both directions by hand perfectly fine (one should just turn, and one way should lift the brake and the tub should spin

Repairman1981 :

Also does the pump move both directions by hand? perfectly smooth

Repairman1981 :

hello?

Customer :

Yes, the tub spins when I turn it one way. It also spins freely the other direction but the agitator is spinning as I turn. One other thing I noticed when trying the new belt is that the little plastic helix appears to slide into position as the machine goes into the spin cycle, but it drops and disengages when the load begins. I don't know if this is how that part is suppose to work or not.

Customer :

Also, yes the pump moves freely.

Repairman1981 :

Sounds like everything is working fine

Repairman1981 :

The helix, lifts the pulley and disengages the brake

Repairman1981 :

I would say you actually have a "through out bearing problem"

Repairman1981 :

The through out bearing is the pulley on the bottom of the tub

Repairman1981 :

Look at the top of it where it pushes up on the brake

Repairman1981 :

Is it melted or smushed down?

Customer :

It doesn't appear melted or smushed. With the belt on, I can use the belt to turn both pulley's in the direction that moves the agitator but when I pull it the other way, it continues to turn the pump pulley but can't handle the load of turning the tub. That pulley stops turning and I can spin the belt around it. But I can still turn it by hand. Could this be as simple as the belt tensioner even though it appears fine as well?

Repairman1981 :

Yeah, did you buy the right belt?

Repairman1981 :

Might be too long of a belt, the tensioners rarely fail

Customer :

As long as the parts shop gave me the right one based on the model #, I did get the right one. But the original belt was so burned and brittle I could use it for a good size comparison. Do you think it would be worth trying another belt...maybe from a different store?

Repairman1981 :

Do you still have the part number you bough

Repairman1981 :

boughtI

Repairman1981 :

I can check it

Repairman1981 :

27001007 says 30 and 1/4"

Customer :

27001007 37820

Repairman1981 :

Rather than a bad idler pulley it's likely that spring on the tensioner, if you feel comfortable you can try pushing on it while it tries to spin

Customer :

I'll give it a try. Thanks.

Repairman1981 :

If the throughout bearing is fine, this is about all it can be

Repairman1981 :

If you can turn it by hand but the belt can't when the old one went bad it might have sprung the spring on the tensioner

Customer :

If pushing on the tensioner doesn't do the trick, should I try replacing the throughout bearing in case there may be damage I can't see while it's on the machine?

Repairman1981 :

yep

Repairman1981 :

I have seen several you can't tell there is a problem with and still are bad

Repairman1981 :

However usually the hand can't turn them either

Repairman1981 :

So most likely the tensioner has something to do with it

Repairman1981 :

Possible you didn't put it on right?

Customer :

Thanks for your help.

Experience: 7 years Repairing Appliances, Factory Trained in Several Major Brands