SubZero_Wolf Expert
SubZero_Wolf Expert, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Licensed Appliance Journeyman
46655473

Ive got a GE microwave model JNM1731DM1WW manufactured Nov

Customer Question

I've got a GE microwave model JNM1731DM1WW manufactured Nov 2006.

The buttons have been fading out one by one and I can no longer operate the microwave although I can still operate both the surface lights and vent fan. I disassembled the front and checked the connections into the smart board and everything looked good. I then tested the Key Panel with an ohm-meter and found some of the buttons with zero's (vent fan and surface lights as well as the 1 button that didn't work for me), non-zero (although low) readings, and then readings with no change.

I then removed the key panel from the plastic mount to see if there was any way for me to fix the key panel. Otherwise, it seems that Ill need a new control panel assembly (part number I found WB07X11043).

I had no idea how I may fix it and wanted to know if you had any insights into fixing it and then reattaching it to the plastic mount.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  SubZero_Wolf Expert replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
SubZero_Wolf Expert :

Sorry to say that those keypads are not repairable. You could try and reshape the button dome and then try little bits of glue near the area, but you would end up with shorted and open keys instead of just open. There is just no real way to do it that I've ever heard of. looks like you are just going to bite the bullet and order the panel assembly. Let me know if you have any other questions. Thanks, Sam

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

Hello

SubZero_Wolf Expert :

I appreciate your detailed description. Unfortunately it enables me to give you a fast undesirable answer. I will be more than happy to answer any other questions about this machine.