Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

I have a Whirlpool Accubake. Gas stove burners ignite, but

I have a Whirlpool Accubake. Gas stove burners ignite, but oven does not light. I can hear gas but does not light. Or it will light and then go out after a while. Broiler does light. any ideas?

If you did not include a model # XXXXX your question please do on you second reply if possible,this helps us serve you faster.

can you get me the model #?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Model number is XXXXX 0
are you getting a strong spark in the oven from this?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

OK, had to go look. Had not noticed sparks before.

when I tried to light oven I saw a few very small sparks along the top, where the broiler normally lights. which seems strange considering the broiler itself DOES light up.

so, when I hit start, i hear 'pisssss' of gas and then a click, click, click (small sparks along top during clicks) and then nothing.

so the top broiler spark igniter is sparking when you try the bake?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

When I try to bake (select bake, then start) I see small sparks inside the oven, on the roof of the oven, towards the back. I do not see sparks anywhere else.

ok does this have a drawer under the door?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes, there is a drawer for storage under the oven door.
open that and start the oven, there should be a spark underneath in the back.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Can this be??

I just opened drawer, emptied out all the cookie sheets, but then decided to remove the whole drawer because I thought it would give me a better view. I might have seen a spark on the right side as I pulled drawer out (or maybe my imagination...oven was off).

Then I tried to light it to see spark....and it is working!

Could drawer have been pushing against wires in back? Will problem reoccur when I reinstall drawer? Plus I found a lot of dust down there (we moved in just recently)...could that be a problem?

thats very possible, there may also have been a pan or cookie sheet in the way or the spark was jumping to that , try not putting to much in the drawer. thanks Bryan