John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.

my magic chef oven will not heat up past 200. I set the cook

Customer Question

my magic chef oven will not heat up past 200. I set the cook timer and now it wont heat up. I had this problem about a year ago also. i thought i was going to have to get a new stove then it just started to heat up agin on its own
Category: Appliance
Expert:  John replied 3 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
appliance doctor :

Thanks for the question, can you see the igniter glow under the oven floor, is that the correct model number ?

Customer :

where is this igniter glow. model 3 6898xvb

Customer :

model# XXXXX

appliance doctor :

It shows the model as an electric stove is that correct, I thought it was gas.

appliance doctor :

On the timer is the pointer set to Serve.

Customer:

waiting for a expert

appliance doctor :

Is the pointer on the timer at serve.

Customer:

its a digital faced oven

Customer:

my model # XXXXX XXXXX serial # XXXXX

appliance doctor :

It has to be a timer thats not set correctly, set the clock to manual see if that fixes the problem.

Customer:

ok ill try

appliance doctor :

That should be the fix

Customer:

my clock is digital and has no manual setting unless im setting it. im going to see if it will broil. are there any high temp relays, because i cant find any on my drawing at all, but i would assume there has to be

Customer:

im checking my broiler now to see if it works

appliance doctor :

That model does have two relays one broin and one for the bake, you will have to check the bake element with a meter to see if its not burnt out.

Customer:

q

Customer:

ok

appliance doctor :

Nothing came through on your las post.

Customer:

oh i thought there should be one low temp and another for hi

appliance doctor :

If the bake element is burned out the temp will only reach 200 deg

Customer:

i reach abut 175

Customer:

which is the bake element. the lower or upper

appliance doctor :

The bottom element is the bake.

Customer:

i assume its the lower, and broil is the upper

appliance doctor :

A burnt wire at the bake element can cuse this as well.

Customer:

my temp has now reached 245. it has not made it past 175 for a few days

appliance doctor :

check to see if the bake element is getting hot

Customer:

well the oven is hot but i cant tell which elemwnt it is by putting my hand close they both feel hot to me

Customer:

is there another way

Customer:

when i go to broil the upper glows red

Customer:

i supposedly have fuses in the storage bin area im going to check them next

appliance doctor :

go to bake and see if the bake gets hot.

Customer:

yeh its a t 245 now. the hottest its been in a few days, but cant tell which element is hot

appliance doctor :

fuses wont have anything to do with the problem.

Customer:

i thought so plus i dont have any error codes on the front either

appliance doctor :

The clock may not have been set correctly.

Customer:

i dont understand. you just goto clock and turn the set knob

appliance doctor :

Set it to manual not auto.

Customer:

how do you set it to manual

Customer:

the hi/lo broil does that mean which element i want to use

Customer:

because if thats the case i can set it to low broil and it should never get hot if my lower element is bad

appliance doctor :

Thats just for the broil, if you want bake you set it to bake.

Customer:

how do i set the clock to manual

Expert:  John replied 3 years ago.
Chat Conversation Ended

If you are still working with your Expert on this question, you can post additional replies and receive additional information on this page.  If you received a satisfactory answer in Chat, you can accept the chat conversation above.
Expert:  John replied 3 years ago.
You should be able to push clear then set the bake and the temp you want
Expert:  John replied 3 years ago.

Clock assembly

Try that with the clear button