Repairman1981
Repairman1981, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  7 years Repairing Appliances, Factory Trained in Several Major Brands

I have a samsung IMC701 ice maker in a 2 year old GE Profile

I have a samsung IMC701 ice maker in a 2 year old GE Profile french door refridgerator. The ice maker quit working, then 4 days later spit out 8 cubes and nothing since last week. Today I changed the water filter. Still nothing. There is a test switch on the rh side . When pressed nothing happens. Any Ideas? Thanks, Tom XXX@XXXXXX.XXX
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Repairman1981 replied 3 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Repairman1981 :

Are there any cubes in the icemaker?

Customer:

No, It is empty

Repairman1981 :

does the dispenser work fine after changing the filter

Customer:

no , there is no difference

Repairman1981 :

well, can you get the icemaker to cycle?

Customer:

no, i pushed the test button and get nothing

Repairman1981 :

is it possible you have a temp issue, is your ice creak rock hard or just cold?

Customer:

what is an ice creak? The freezer is just fine and so is the fridge.

Repairman1981 :

cream, sorry it's late here

Repairman1981 :

fine and 0 degrees could be 2 different things

Repairman1981 :

icemakers won't cycle at 5 and you can't feel a difference between 5 and 0

Customer:

the freezer readout is -2 degrees

Repairman1981 :

that is the read out, do you have ice cream in the unit?

Customer:

no, but frozen vegees and meat are solid

Repairman1981 :

well, it will be either the solenoid or the ice maker, have you had any other work on the unit?

Repairman1981 :

ever

Customer:

no, it is just 2 years old. first time with a problem.

Repairman1981 :

well, since it won't cycle I would have to lean toward the maker, so start with uninstalling the maker and check the black wire coming in to the green coming in for 120v

Repairman1981 :

this will rules out wiring or fuse problem

Customer:

I have been unable to get it apart. I can get the mechanism to slide forward but it is still held in with a tube or something and won't come all the way out

Customer:

can I get a number to call you in the morning? it is 10:37 pm here

Repairman1981 :

I honestly cannot give out my number (would be easier but they will cancel my account)

Repairman1981 :

What I can do is switch you to Q and A mode

Repairman1981 :

This will email me when you post back

Repairman1981 :

Just log in and goto this same question and post back

Chat Conversation Ended

If you are still working with your Expert on this question, you can post additional replies and receive additional information on this page.  If you received a satisfactory answer in Chat, you can accept the chat conversation above.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

This doesn't seem to work for me. Too difficult to explain and communicate.

I think I'll just call someone local and have them come out. Thanks anyway.

ok, not a problem, if you change your mind post back and I can still help you. Please remember to click accept, otherwise JA keeps 100%. Thanks!

Brandon

Experience: 7 years Repairing Appliances, Factory Trained in Several Major Brands