Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

My Kenmore 22 bottom freezer refrig is having a difficult

My Kenmore 22" bottom freezer refrig is having a difficult time keeping top compartment cool/cold.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.

is there any frost on the back panel inside the freezer?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
There is none nor has there ever been any.
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
you need to replace the damper control, Part 223353first check to make sure its opening and staying ope, the spring may have come off or the damper itself is bad, take the damper cover off and check it, let me know, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have removed the damper control located in the center of top compartment. It appears to be a small brass bellows with a pig-tail on it with a two inch plastic pin that pushes and and comes down depending on high or low the temp is. I put it under hot and/cold water and it appears to move. Earlier when I checked it with the cover off, the damper valve appeared to be open with very little to no cold/cool air coming out of slot.
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
ok you will need to remove the back panel in the freezer, I know a pain but we need to see where the obstruction is. can you do that, also check the returns and make sure they are clear.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes, I can do that but it will take me several minutes. What are you referring to when you say returns. Question? The thermostat is also located there behind that panel and could it possiblly be that? The panel you are referring to is only accessible from the freezer compartment and I may have to disconnect the ice maker to get it off.
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
you will need to remove the ice maker and the returns is the way the air returns to the freezer , the are holes that let the airflow, the thermostat could be the issue but unlikely if theres no airflow or very little its seems to me to be a blockage, let me know when you get the back off.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
10-4 - Will call you in a bit.
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
ok
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
OK Bryan - I removed ice-maker and back panal and guess what - a solid block of ice covering the coils and the black U-shaped heater-evap coil underneath it. I"m in the process of melting ice with a hair dryer. Where do I go from there?
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.

thats why! great job, it can only be one of three things 1 the defrost timer. Part(NNN) NNN-NNNN width=2 the defrost thermostat, Part 888801clipped to the coils on top, or 3 the defrost heater itself, Part 379148check the defrost thermostat for continuity when its cold if it has continuity its good same with the heater if it has continuity its good, if both of those do then replace the timer, heres a link to all the diagrams and parts, thanks Bryan

http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/getModel!retrieve.pd?modelNumber=596.77272790+&pathTaken=partSearch

Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.