Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

my sharp r1214 has stopped heating food. the timer and clock

my sharp r1214 has stopped heating food. the timer and clock are powered and working. the carousel stopped turning as well. any thoughts?

If you did not include a model # XXXXX your question please do on you second reply if possible,this helps us serve you faster.

most likely you have a bad micro switch in the door latch assembly, you can order these but you need to know which one is bad, there are usually three, do you have a volt meter and know how to check continuity?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
yes I have a voltmeter - not quite sure about continuity? could you explain please

sure continuity is a test to check for a completed circuit, click this link to explain,

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
ok I can handle that
ok, where the door shuts there are switches, you will need to take the control panel out to get to them however, i cant bring up the diagrams for this so don't know how that comes out, see if there are screws holding the panel.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
alright I have gotten everything exposed
ok be careful, you have this unplugged correct?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

ok there can still be power in the capacitor so don't get to far into this, if you look where the door latch closes you will see these. Part 469831you need to test them . when the door is closed two should have continuity and one wont(the light one)

Most microwave door switches can be tested for continuity to see if the switch has failed. This can "fool" you sometimes. This switch looks fine, tested fine with an ohm meter and even made the "click" noise ok when we pressed on the actuator button.

Once we opened up the switch, it became clear this switch's contacts where being overheated and failing = new switch time.

This switch "looked" ok, "checked" ok with an ohm meter...but as you can is not ok.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
brian - I have to go to work for a few hours - can I leave this link open and get back to you in say 2-3 hours?
sure, no problem
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
no problem
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
bryan - thanks for the help so far - i checked the continuity with the door open and closed. with the door open the two switches had no power as expected - the third switch did have power. when i closed the door, the little red button on the switches is depressed (looked ok) but there was no power to either of the switches! it would seem odd to me the both switches would have failed at the same time? is there something else.
well actually I think they only get power when the microwave is on and then sends it to the rest of the unit to run the magnetron, you need to check continuity not power, were you doing this live and checking for voltage or unplugged and checking continuity?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
plugged in and checking for voltage
ok, do you understand how to check the switches for continuity? you leave the microwave unplugged.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
i need more then that - I will unplug it now
put the meter on ohms and touch the two probes together you will see it go up. that means there continuity do that with the switches, put a probe on each of the terminals and close the door if it goes up its good, if not its bad.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
can i do this with one of the devices that has a light that goes on or do I need an actual voltmeter?
you need a volt meter,
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
ok i am off to the store
ok thanks,
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
ok bryan - i got a continuity tester that has a light - when I touch the two ends the light goes on. now when I do the upper door switch, the light is not on when the door is open, but comes on when I shut the door. the bottom door switch - the light is on the entire time when the door is open or closed.
that ones bad, you need to replace it, good job, you can order the switch @ thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
which one is bad? the one with the light on continuously?
yes, that is bad, the bottom one.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
thanks for your help bryan - one last question - do they sell switches like this in stores locally or do you need to order one over the internet?
well radio shack may have it but I'm not sure , otherwise you can go to any local appliance parts supplier and they will have it, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
great - thanks again
ok if for some reason you replace it and it still doesn't work leave this post open and come back and we will go through other things, I believe though you will be fine, that switch is definitely bad anyway, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
hey bryan - in doing more research - I took the switch apart and it does not seem to be bad - there was continuity between the two wires even without the switch installed. So i traced back the wires to where they were connected to capacitor and removed them from that - no continuity between the two wires. does that mean the capacitor is dead?
oh man please don't do that again thats the part that can kill you, no it doesn't mean the capacitor is bad. this was just completing a circuit, so with the wires of the switch tests good?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

ok I will be careful - when I took the switch apart it seemed to work normally - when the switch depressed it broke the circuit

ok, well if all the switches are good then unfortunately the relay on the control board is bad, you cant replace just the relay and the board is no longer available. Part(NNN) NNN-NNNN width=sorry, you may need to replace the microwave at this point, wish I could do more, well wishes and thanks, Bryan