Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

my ice maker is not dispensing cubed or crushed ice. there

my ice maker is not dispensing cubed or crushed ice. there is ice in the bin, but the ice is not coming out. the dispenser sounds like it is laboring and not engaging.

ok , so the auger isn't turning correct? the flap open and you hear a noise like its trying to turn but isn't?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
yes, that is correct
ok the auger motor is either frozen or bad, what you need to do is pull the ice bin out and remove the auger motor assembly first and take a hair dryer an d defrost the motor, Part(NNN) NNN-NNNN width=this is attached to the panel in the back of the freezer, there are screws holding it in (the panel will come out with the motor) try that first if it still doesn't turn the replace the motor, you can order it @ http://www.repairclinic.com/SSPartDetail.aspx?s=t-pss23mgtebb-%3d%3dei1461103&PartID=1461103 if needed, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
is there no other way to test if it is frozen or bad? could I turn off the ice maker and see if it will defrost on it's own? also if i go into the bin and move the ice arround there is some ice dispensed for a few minutes and then it stops.
have you pull the bin and cleaned it out? you say you moved the ice around and it dispenses ice for a few minutes? after that few minutes if you move the ice around again right away does it work again?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
yes
try removing the ice auger and cleaning it out completely, making sure it turns freely before putting it back in,
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
the ice auger is the spiral thing in th emiddle of the bin - righ? If that is it, I pulled the bin and emptied it, made sure the auger was turning freely and put a few ice cubes in to test it. one ice cube came out and the auger did not run any more.
I believe the auger motor is bad, these can run intermittently when they start to fail, you really need to get this out and make sure its not ice in the motor causing this,