Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

I need to replace a very old Kitchenaid KWE220 disposal and

I need to replace a very old Kitchenaid KWE220 disposal and can't figure out how to remove the old disposal. The description of the mounting assembly in the installation manual of my new Superba does not match what I see. It looks like there is a small spring wire with a red rubber end cap between the sink and the top of the disposal, rather than the ramped ring that you turn to lock the new one in place.

I believe on this one you need to remove the ring in the top of the unit #7 on the diagram, its a snap in ring ,

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I think that ring (#7) just holds the rubber baffle in. I'm talking about the ring that is under the sink that will allow me to remove the whole disposal unit.
there should be one on that bottom also, are there screws to loosen underneath that lets it come down some to get at the bottom ring, the diagrams are very old and I cant tell
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
So what you are saying is that I need to loosen the bolts and drop the disposal that way? The ring piece I'm seeing underneath is number 14, I believe, and the bolts are #15. They look like screws in the diagram, but they are actually hex head bolts. I was told that I wouldn't have to replace the sink flange, but it looks like I might have to do that since the mounting assembly looks so different.

another tech knows this unit so I'm going to turn it over to him, thanks Bryan

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I guess he didn't know, anyway yes you need to loosen those bolts so the disposal comes down enough to get the snap ring off the it will come down , also you will need to replace the sink flange on this its different, hope this helps, thanks Bryan