Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

Amana SofSound III washes poorly. It previously washed well.

Amana SofSound III washes poorly. It previously washed well. The motor and pump run. On opening the door mid-cycle, I saw lower spray arm movement, but none for the upper arm. I exposed the impeller, there are no missing vanes. What would keep water from going to the upper wash arm and would that be the (only) reason for the poor wash results?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.

how much water is in the bottom after this fills?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
About one cup
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
ok you don't have enough water, you need to replace the water valve in this, #1 one this diagram, its behind the kick plate on the bottom under the door, this will take care of your water problem , before replacing this though check under your sink and make sure the water didn't get turned off, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
OK, $47.35 for a water valve (assuming that does the trick) + $53.40 for a spray arm. I can replace the parts myself. Do you recommend investing the $100 in a 9.5 year old machine (we've been covering the tines on the racks where the coating was shot and they were beginning to rust) or replacing the whole appliance?
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.

if you have that much going on this replace the machine, there will be other issues in the near future, the life span is only usually 8 years so your ahead of the game at this point, the rack will fall apart and get pieces into the pump assembly soon anyway, hope this helps, thanks. Bryan