Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

Replaced power board couple days ago. It worked fine until

Customer Question

Replaced power board couple days ago. It worked fine until last night. Went to get ice out of dispenser and it wouldn't shut off until the freezer door was opened. Closed the door at it was still trying to dispense ice. Now the board is unplugged.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.

you have a stuck micro switch in the dispenser. part # XXXXX a on this diagram, they look like this, Part(NNN) NNN-NNNN width=there are two of them one is bad,

Edited by Bryan on 8/7/2010 at 8:43 PM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I replaced the micro switch for the ice despenser and it's still doing the same thing
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
is the paddle retracting fully?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
check you gasket(doors) all the way around and make sure they are sealing tightly, let me know, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Will do when I get home, at work right now. After the board was put in, it appeared to have about a 2 to 3 second delay when paddle was pushed in and after the paddle was released the auger turned for about 2 to 3 seconds. The board was installed 8/5. On 8/6 late in the afternoon is when i was getting ice and it wouldn't stop dispensing. After getting a response from you, i then changed the micro switch, for the dispenser, and it's still doing the same thing. I unplugged the grey wire on the micro switch so that i might use the water dispenser and it still does the same thing so i'll unplug the brown one if the door seal is ok, just so I can get filtered water.
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
ok , let me know, does the auger keep turning or just ice keeps falling out and the flap stays open?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes, the auger keeps turning with the flap close, but of course the flap opens to let the ice fall.
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
thats really strange, there were two micro switches are you sure you changed the right one?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Yes. With the cover off, and the paddle for the ice pushed in, I can see the micro switch that is activated with the paddle in. The lever from the paddle hits the toggle switch.

Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
with the power board (I'm assuming the dispenser board.)Part 833911and the switch replaced I'm not sure why this is going on. is that what you replaced?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes, this is the one i replaced and the micro switch. To disable the ice dispenser, do i need to disconnect the brown wire on the switch also ?
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.

I believe so. the only other way would be to disconnect the wires at the auger motor itself,

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Could you tell me te function of the damper rotary ?
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
the damper controls the air flow to the refrigerator section, , do you have this board in the control panel in the dispenser? Part(NNN) NNN-NNNN width=
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
yes and this is what i replaced and now it's working.
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
great thats good news, thanks Bryan