Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

My GE refrigerator which is only a year and 2 months old is

My GE refrigerator which is only a year and 2 months old is not cooling at all in the fridge section but is still freezing in the freezer. I have read that there is possibly a built in fuse that needs replacing. Is that true? Also the fan is not running at all in the fridge portion.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.

If you did not include a model # XXXXX your question please do on you second reply if possible,this helps us serve you faster.

can you get me the model #? also is there any frost at all on the back panel in the freezer? look real good,is the fan in the freezer section running? thanks, Bryan

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Model # XXXXX serial # XXXXX Freezer has no frost on back wall inside. Fan was running but has stopped. I think it's just cold enough in there so the thing just shut down for a min.
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
ok, well the only problem is if you try to fix this or take it apart to repair they will void your warranty, G.E. will try to void the warranty if this is touched by anyone but a G.E service tech. dont want that to happen, you need to call for service right away, I wish there was a button you could push to make this work but there isnt sorry, hope this helps, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
What if the warranty is already expired? it only had a year warranty with it.
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
oh, I'm sorry this is 1 year and two months, ok, can you pull this away from the wall and feel the compressor to see if its warm, cold, or hot? also is it vibrating?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
If the compressor is the black thing then it is warm and not vibrating. the freezer is so cold that it seems not to be needing to cool it right now though. the thing to the right of the black thing is very dusty and almost moist to the touch though
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
ok the first thing to do is clean the coils near the compressor. can you feel air flow through to the fresh food section?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
right now there is no air flow or fan running in the fridge section. ill clean the coils right now though
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
there is no fan in the fresh food section all the air comes from the freezer section,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
k. cleaned coils. no air moving right now. everything is just sitting there. i even unplugged it and plugged it back in.
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
ok, well this may be in defrost , get back to me in an hour and let me know if it started back up. thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
k
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
talk later, thanks Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.