Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

I have a approximately 25 year old GE upright freezer. I dont

I have a approximately 25 year old GE upright freezer. I don't have a model or
serial number for it. Sorry.
It is not a frost-free model. Now after defrosting it the warning light is still on like it is
too warm inside, but the thermometer says that it is 15 degrees.
Any ideas?
Thank you.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.

how long has this been back on?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry to delay... The freezer was turned back on Wednesday around 4:30 to 5 pm

Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
do you hear the fan running in the freezer?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes, the fan is running.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The sides of the freezer are warm. I don't know if this is helpful or not.
Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
ok, can you feel the compressor in the back and tell me if its warm, hot, or cold? is it vibrating? also if there is a fan beside the compressor is it running?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I can't get to the back to feel the compressor. I don't hear any fan

What I do hear is the "freon" running around in the tubing when the door is opened.

Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
ok can you take the back panel off inside the freezer? we need to know what the frost pattern looks like.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No. I am not able to move the freezer from where it is located. I am here by myself

and my husband is at work.

Does it help to know that there is frost on all the shelves where the lines run inside the

freezer?

Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
thats a good sign, well its close to the right temp. it should be between 0-8 degrees, it may need more time to get down to that, it should have been there by now but you may be a little low on freon, I wish I could do more but without a model # XXXXX tough. look in these places for one. <a href=Appliance Model Illustration" width="299" height="163"/>
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Okay. I checked for a number in the places I can see or get to. There is nothing there

so it must be on the back. What I did find was a switch located between the amber 'on'

light and the 'red' warning light. It is in the off position and I am thinking that it has to

do with draining the freezer....?? I wish I had the instructions/part list etc. for this

appliance, but I can't find it either.

All of the food inside and the ice is still frozen. I have the temp dial set on 6.

I guess I will wait a little longer. As you say it is, no doubt, low on freon. It is very

old. I keep knocking wood that it has lasted as long as it has.

Expert:  Bryan replied 3 years ago.
this will probably recover after a while longer, leave the door shut as much as possible,just let it run, thanks Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.