Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

I have a 1977 Amana Touchmatic Radarange Microwave Oven purchased

I have a 1977 Amana Touchmatic Radarange Microwave Oven purchased new and in use since. It has started losing power and requires about 30% more cooking time. Will not pop microwave pop corn any more. Is their a solution?
Jerry Counter [email protected]
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.

unfortunately this means the magnetronPart 384531 is failing or the high voltage transformer is going bad. the magnetron is still available but the transformer has been discontinued

, either way this is the high voltage side of the microwave and (must) be repaired by a tech. even unplugged this can kill you, if you really want this repaired call a tech to look at it, these were great microwaves and worth saving if possible. hope this helps, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

If the magnetron is the problem what is a ball park repair cost?

Maybe after 33 years I should look for a new Microwave.

I will accept your answer

Expert:  Bryan replied 6 years ago.
the magnetron if thats whats wrong is around $76.00 service and labor would be around $100-125 depending on who you call, i was just saying they were great microwaves and they don't make them like that anymore, the average life of a new one is five years at best. thanks Bryan