John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

I have a Maytag Heavy Duty, Super Size Capacity 13 Cycles Quiet

Customer Question

I have a Maytag Heavy Duty, Super Size Capacity 13 Cycles Quiet Series 100 clothes washer that has been great for the last three years and now has started leaking out of the bottom it would seem. The connections to both the wall and the washer don't leak, and the waste water doesn't leak during the spin cycle either into the waste pipe or at the point it leaves the washer. Any ideas?

Many thanks in advance,

Mark
Category: Appliance
Expert:  John replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
appliance doctor :

Thanks for the question.

appliance doctor :

Tip the washer back and check the water pump for that leak, and send me the model number please.

Customer:

Hi. I tipped it back but can't see much other than the motor, the pulley and the bottom of the drum. Is there a quick way to take off the front panel? Also, where would the model number be located? All I have is a part number on the receipt from when I bought it.

Customer:

Product number is XXXXX

Customer:

BRB

appliance doctor :

Pull the washer out and remove the small panel at the right back corner looking from the back , thats where the water pump is located its a common problem with that model for the pump to leak.

appliance doctor :

Its number 19 in the breakdown.

Expert:  John replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Ended

If you are still working with your Expert on this question, you can post additional replies and receive additional information on this page.  If you received a satisfactory answer in Chat, you can accept the chat conversation above.
Expert:  John replied 6 years ago.
If its not the pump thats leaking let me know please.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hi again,

In order to pull the washer out to get to the back panel,I'll have to disconnect it from both hot and cold water. Once I do that, how can I tell if the pump is leaking? Do I have to buy extra long hoses in order to reconnect it,run it and watch for leaks? Also,should it be the pump, are these readily available from appliance and/or home improvement stores?

Thanks
Expert:  John replied 6 years ago.
You can move it forward then tip it back , you should be able to see if the pump is leaking, if it is you can buy one at Sears or any appliance parts store near you.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
sorry for the delay in response but I've had a few more pressing things come up that I've had to fix (only need that washer every weekend) so I'll give it a go tomorrow morning and try tilting it back and wedging it up (I can only get it tilted about 10 degrees given the hose limitations. Will the pump leak anytime water is hooked up, or will it only leak when the spin cycle is happening? Sorry for the all the questions- just need to know if I have to have it running at the time.

Thanks for your patience!
Expert:  John replied 6 years ago.
If its at the pump all you do is put about 6 in of water in the tub you should see it leak if its from the pump, we can talk tomorrow.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hi again,

I filled it with about 8 inches of water with the machine tipped towards the back so I could watch (~8 inches in front, and 10 in the back). No leak, so I ran the cycle through agitation and spin til it drained completely. No Leak anywhere I could see. It would seem either it only happens when the washer is level or when I run higher water levels (I usually take advantage of the super capacity setting to make life easier). Could it be it's overflowing on the spin? If so, why would it start now? Is there an overflow preventer akin to must sinks and tubs that is somehow clogged? Any suggestions are appreciated. Making you earn the money ;-)

Thanks
Expert:  John replied 6 years ago.

Pull the hose out from where it drains and let the washer pump the water out if theres no great force of water leaving the drain hose there could be a blockage in the hose at the water pump, that would cause the water to rise in the tub as its spinning and leak at the top

if it was a problem with the pump you would see it leaking with the 8 in of water you had in the tub.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for the reply, but that's not it- the drain water gushes out. Oh well, I'lljusttry smaller loads.

Thanks,

M
Expert:  John replied 6 years ago.
It could even be splash over as well.