Tom Johnston
Tom Johnston, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20 years experience
14207197

I have a Whirlpool Estate Type 111, Model #TAWS800JQ1. Basket

I have a Whirlpool Estate Type 111, Model #TAWS800JQ1. Basket will not spin on that cycle. Lid switch checks OK. Clutch mechanism was pretty hot when I went under the machine. I'm pretty handy and want to know how tough it is to replace the clutch and if indeed this is the problem.
From your desribtion yes it is the clutch that is the problem.It is not to hard to change it.Do you know how to take the machine apart?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I could use a few pointers on disassembly.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Ok first you have to remove the outer case this video will show you how.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XIsK3W_Qcg

Once that is done remove the pump and motor they are held with metal clips.Then take the cap off the aggitater remove the bolt that holds it pull it out.Tip the machine back against the wall.There are three half inch bolts holding the tranny in remove them pull out tranny the clutch is attached to the top.The new clutch assembly will have instal instructions.Then just put it together in the reverse order.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Is it possible to get the machine up on a bench and do the installation from underneath or must you remove the outer case?

You need to remove the outer case to be able to take the motor and pump off the tranny.