Repairman1981
Repairman1981, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  7 years Repairing Appliances, Factory Trained in Several Major Brands

The outside of my chest freezer feels hot to the touch about

Customer Question

The outside of my chest freezer feels hot to the touch about midway up the wall to the top, The food seems to be thawing a little. The fast freeze (FF) has been flashing all day. This freezer is outside in a garage and has been keeping up with the heat until now. It is only about 5 yrs old.Everytime there is a storm it starts beeping and it has been beeping since the last storm. Battery has been changed. Please help!
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Repairman1981 replied 3 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Repairman1981 :

Doubt it is battery related, most likely you have a bad fan. Without a model I can't tell for sure. slide it out to see the back, might have to remove a panel. Look for a fan near the compressor. If it's not turning it will cause this.

Repairman1981 :

If it's running then you have a sealed system problem. One or the other. Hope just a fan. Post your full model number if you need the fan partnumber. You can order directly from www.searspartsdirect.com if you need it. Thanks!

Customer:

This model does not have a fan.

Customer:

what does a sealed system problem mean?

Repairman1981 :

low freon. The only things that can cause that strip to heat up is when the condenser heats up. Unless this unit is over 90 degrees outside then you likely have a low freon charge

Repairman1981 :

you would need a technician to tap the system and check pressure to verify this, but if it doesn't have a fan on this model either the ambient temp is too high around the unit, or you have a freon issue.

Customer:

how do you replace the freon? It is an outdoor freezer and it has been hot lately but it kept thigns froze even when it was close to 100 a couple weeks ago.

Repairman1981 :

Well if it's not having a cooling issue and is just getting hot anything above a hundred degrees will cause this. The condenser will heat up more if the temp is over around 85-90

Repairman1981 :

you can't you need an epa certification just to buy it.

Customer:

But it is having cooling issues, I put tomatoes in there last night and they are not froze solid yet, just starting to freeze now but still liquid. I need to get it to start freezing quicker or
I will lose my food

Repairman1981 :

yeah, you have a freon issue or the ambient temp is too high. Can't say which without putting gauges on it. Doube anyone else can eitehr. I would say it's time to call for service. If you have gauges and the taps and everything I can walk you through it. However you will need to buy more tools than it's worth to do the repair on this.

Customer:

my husband has more tools than the average guy

Customer:

what is an ambient temp and how do you check it or fix it

Customer:

no guages for it

Repairman1981 :

The ambient temp is the air around the unit. If your air around the unit is over 100 it will not cool correctly. Since it's night time then I would assume it's nowhere near that.

Repairman1981 :

You need to hire someone to check for a freon leak

Repairman1981 :

99% for sure you have it. During the 100 degree days it will just maintain the temps and night time it should deep freeze.

Repairman1981 :

So if this has been going on for days then you have a more serious problem

Customer:

It was over 90 today and high 80's yest

Customer:

the temp light says it is 3 degrees

Customer:

it has been doing this only since yest

Repairman1981 :

You might wanna keep it closed as much as possible, and wait till the heat wave passes to decide. The unit is not decided to run with ambient temps over 85 degrees.

Customer:

I can't afford a repairman just to see a maybe...the heat wave isn't going to pass, I live in the south, it is like this every summer

Repairman1981 :

has it been an issue in the past?

Repairman1981 :

Wait check your manual, most of the time the units come with a 5 year warranty on the sealed system

Repairman1981 :

So you might not have to pay for it.

Customer:

yes it has happened before and my husband would unplug wires in the control panel and plug them back in and it would work other than that the only other prob in the past was beeping after a storm

Repairman1981 :

I guess you could try it, but if the food is thawing I don't see how unplugging a board will do anything for you. It will reset the alarm, but won't make it cool any better. Unless you hear the compressor cutting off from overheating, you don't have an electrical probelm, you have a thermal problem