Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

My Kenmore Washer/Dryer combo has been great for ten years,

My Kenmore Washer/Dryer combo has been great for ten years, but now the dryer is on the fritz. Model number is XXXXX For the last six month it has been "shorting out". It will just stop in the middle of a cycle, or when you turn it on it nothing happens. The breaker has not tripped, but sometimes resetting the breaker makes it work again. In the last two weeks, though, it seems to have died. We had a technician come in. He checked all the wiring, replacing one internal connection that looked charred. It still didn't work. He removed some more parts to access a fuse in the back, and changed that. Then it worked.

3 days later it died again.

Is this terminal?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Bryan :

he replaced the thermal fuse and it worked for 3 days? did he check the vent system ? does the motor make a buzz when it first starts like its strugling to start?

Customer:

He didn't check the vent, but I did. Everything was clear. The motor does not make a buzz. It just doesn't do anything when you turn the start dial.

Bryan :

the thermal fuse is probably blew the thermal fuse again, this dryer is ten years old, did he say the motor was good, ? did he test the element for shorts, which wire was burnt looking?

Customer:

I'm not sure I understand. You say that the same fuse probably blew again?

Customer:

He didn't say anything about the motor. However since the machine was operating I would conclude that the motor was still working.

Customer:

I do not know if he tested the element for shorts. What would that look like?

Customer:

The connection he replace was on the front left of the machine. There were two wires connected by a plastic casing. In the same area there were many other wires. I am not sure which one it was, but it may have been the connection to the "Start" dial.

Bryan :

sorry I was away from the computer for a minute, well to be honest it doesnt sound like he did anything to determine the cause, give me a little while to look this machine up and I'll be back, need to stop and eat also, talk in a bit, thanks Bryan

Customer:

ok. See if you can get the website to text me when you get back on.

Bryan :

ok thanks

Bryan :

ok, I'm back. looking at the model i'm wondering if the heating element might be shorting on this, did he remove the drum and check to see?

Customer:

I need to go out for a few hours. Can we pick this up again at 9 ET?

Bryan :

I will probably be off line but will be on tomorrow

Customer:

ok let me stick around for a few minutes

Customer:

He did not remove the drum.

Bryan :

ok well he should have taken this apart and checked for a short in the heating element and the wiring to it, this may just need a thermostat. when these overheat they will trip the thermal fuse(blow it) its really hard to say without taking the machine apart and testing the thermostats and the element, I would call him back and make him check these, did he give you a warranty?

Customer:

I live in Puerto Rico. Things are pretty loose around here for this type of thing. I could ask him to come back and recheck the heating element. I am getting a new washer and dryer anyway, so I am mostly wondering if this one can be saved. So it is possible that the thermostat is faulty, the heating element is getting too hot, and blowing the thermal fuse?

Bryan :

yes that is possible, if your getting a new set and he doesnt want to come back then I would just let it go, unfortunately these are hard to work on and dont want to get you in over you head, best advice is to get a new machine, thanks Bryan

Customer:

There are a lot of people down here who are poor. If I can I am going to donate it (since the washer still works) so I was hoping to see if it could still be fixed. People here can be very industriuos about making stuff work again.

Customer:

Thanks for your help. Before I click out of here let me ask a parting question. I found a really good deal on a Kenmore HE3t frontload washer. I read a bunch of terrible reviews about moldy drums, replacing the seal often, and bad electronics. Most of these reviews were from 2007-2008. Any idea if the design has improved since then?

Bryan :

well you will need to see if the element is overheating and to do that the thermal fuse will need to be changed then you need to see if the element is shutting down when its suppose to, my guess is its not, I will send you a link to the diagram if that will help.

Bryan :

they haven't inproved much, the HE3T but you can use a product called effresh to help keep it clean,

Customer:

Ok. Thanks for your help. I'll be back when the HE3T breaks!

Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
Chat Conversation Ended

If you are still working with your Expert on this question, you can post additional replies and receive additional information on this page.  If you received a satisfactory answer in Chat, you can accept the chat conversation above.
Expert:  Bryan replied 4 years ago.
hope I've helped some. thanks Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.