Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

What can casue a burning plastic smell coming from my Kenmore

What can cause a burning plastic smell coming from my Kenmore Microwave while it is in use?

If you did not include a model # XXXXX your question please do on you second reply if possible,this helps us serve you faster.

its the high voltage diode thats doing that, soon this will not heat the food, the diode will fail, you need this replaced by a tech however, this is on the high voltage capacitor and even when unplugged can kill you , please read this warning.

CPSC Banner

Consumer Product Safety Commission

Electrocution Hazard with Do-It-Yourself Repairs of Microwave Ovens

CPSC Document #5061

The U. S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) warns against do-it-yourself repairs of microwave ovens. Each year, on average, four people die from electrocution trying to repair their microwave ovens. Microwave ovens use high voltage which makes it particularly hazardous for consumers to remove the cover and touch electrical parts. The possibility for electrical shock from a microwave oven still exists even after the oven is disconnected from the power source. Should certain internal devices fail, even unplugged ovens can cause serious injury.

The Commission strongly recommends that consumers have professionals repair microwave ovens because electrical appliances can be hazardous if consumers expose live electrical parts.

Removing the cover of your microwave oven and touching an electrical part can kill you.

Have a professional repair your microwave oven

thanks Bryan

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

...any estimate as to how much this might cost to get fixed?

the diode itself is around $15.00 and I suspect around $79.00 for the service call, hope this helps , thanks Bryan