Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

We have been hearing a small fan go off and on for about 5

We have been hearing a small fan go off and on for about 5 seconds at a time about 20 times during the day. Is there a small fan that does this? It is a french door Amana refrigerator, freezer down below, and it is about 5 years old. Thanks

are you sure its a fan? is the refrigerator working correctly, ? how often do you hear this.? is it more like a buzzing?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No I am not sure it is a fan, it sounds like a "little fan" to me and the performance of the refrigerator has not been affected. We changed the filter on the water about a month ago.
is it making ice? this may be the valve making noise as it fills the ice maker, how often do you hear this?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Bryan: Just for that reason I turned off the ice maker and it is still making the noise. We hear this noise about every hour for 3 times in a row about 15 seconds each time.
ok, is the fan in the freezer running?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I cannot tell.
ok ,this is tough because you cant tell where the noise is comming from, I think you should keep an eye on the temp in the fresh food side and see if it starts to warm up, this will tell me its the fan in the freezer thats the problem. let me know thanks Bryan